[ 1 ] (7.1%)
Call the user's button "Personal"
[ 0 ] (0%)
Call the user's button by the username
[ 4 ] (28.6%)
Call it something else (please specify)
[ 3 ] (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Topic: New menu arrangement: Community - Staff - Personal (Read 47769 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from Re: Linktree and Dropmenu arr...

Re: New menu arrangement: Community - Staff - Personal

Reply #45

Quote from: TestMonkey –
 TestMonkey thinks someone made an Eliana-only version.   :-X

I'm starting to think so. Doesn't work on FF or Chrome for me. :(

Are my permissions set right? Is [Like] respecting permissions well?

Reply #46

Quote from: Eliana Tamerin – I'm starting to think so. Doesn't work on FF or Chrome for me. :(

Are my permissions set right? Is [Like] respecting permissions well?
(another) Small bug ... I've fixed it in my local will make a PR in a bit ... for you once you get 5 posts its will work.  There is a under post limit setting that is not working correctly ATM.

Reply #47

Yay, I'm not crazy!

Reply #48

Had an idea. I'm adding a link to recent posts in the Community droppy. Guests don't get the unread stuff, so figured it might be handy to give them a menu link to recent. Not worth a top level tab, as logged members rarely use recent, AFAICT.

Did think about echoing it in the top level for guests only, but figured that would lead to bleating and confusion when people logged in (hey where is button kthnx?). Droppy seems like the best option. :)

Also, have put dividers between the admin/moderate sections and PM/profile sections in those two droppies. Since "moderate" and "profile" are the only .subsections list elements in those droppies, I just targeted them with css via top button id, and gave them a bit of extra padding and a top border. Works well there, but not recommended for all droppies as it would get over the top (would have dividers between every link in admin droppies, for instance).

Reply #49

Hey question about menu arrays, while I'm mutating menus.

Code: [Select]
				'is_last' => !$context['right_to_left'],

This is_last stuff: is that just a styling hook? It seems to be, because the software doesn't give a rat's if you include it or not. Runs quite happily with or without it.

If it's just a styling hook, my 2c is we ditch it. Not needed, and will likely never be used. It also gets in the way when it comes to splitting and/or amalgamating menus.

For example, the log out button is now floated right, which means it has to be first in the arrays. This is neccessary to make it work with right float in a bunch of left floated friends. So, although visually it is "last", in array/markup terms it is not.

ETA: NVM. Read the SMF docs. Yes, it is just styling stuff. IIRC it's a leftover from the old core theme, which used a funny gif for the last buttonz. We don't need it. Suggest deprecating.
Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 12:13:02 am by Antechinus
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #50

Just drop it if it is useless! :P

I think the "My stuff" button would be much more useful/usable without the sub-menu "profile" and just a separator and the three entries there, but that's something we can adjust at any time in the future. ;)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #51

Ok, fair enough. Hey how about we add in an option for separators in the array? That way they could be put anywhere, and wouldn't have to rely on targeting the subsections class. That'd be more useful than the old last stuff. Something like:

Code: [Select]
					'profile' => array(
'title' => $txt['profile'],
'href' => $scripturl . '?action=profile',
'show' => $context['allow_edit_profile'],
'divider' => true,
'sub_buttons' => array(

Then that adds a class in the template for css targeting. Would be best if it could be just left out of the array if false. That would make life a little easier.

Reply #52

Yes, a divider is a better solution here. It will also be handy for customizations of menus, to separate things their own way.
The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.

Reply #53

I might try my hand at that one, if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Reply #54

Separators work very well in general ;)

Reply #55

Re: username for the user area.
 I think there's a communication disconnect here in this topic, because I see username more popular, and Ant keeps replying on unrelated points. All good if it doesn't seem an idea to stay, but I'd suggest to understand well what exactly is being proposed here and why it is natural.

You know how they say. Pictures are still worth a lot of them words. Here's a quick shot (attached) of a random example.
Also this screenshot (from a topic which I'm afraid I had missed) is IMHO on the same track to show what is meant by user corner:
http://www.elkarte.net/index.php?topic=323.msg2059#msg2059
Not on the avatar, but on the username instead. In a corner of the screen. Not inside the menu.

Diaspora, G+, etc, do this, and the idea is very simple. When you're logged in, you have your name on the page. Permanently.
My name indicates my space. I can go to account, to profile, and perhaps to messages. I can also logout from there. When I log out, my name is not on the page. It's the login instead. The name is the blatantly obvious indicator (even for me!) that I'm logged in there and now, and my stuff is available. Under it.

Around this, is, I believe, the point of the username.
The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.

Reply #56

Yes I knew what you meant. I have seen that arrangement in several apps, but honestly I don't like it. For one thing, the tiny avatar gets too tiny IMO. It gets to the point where most avatars that people actually use just become blurry/pixellated little eyesores, which detract from the gui rather than adding to it.

The only way of avoiding that would be to make the avatar larger than would be desirable for a compact top bar. That's just hogs space and looks stupid, which will make people want to hide it, but they wont be able to.  So, if you want that type of layout, I'd have no avatar at all up there. It'll look better in practice.

The other thing is I just like having all the menu stuff in the one place, and I like things named for their functonality. It just seems more natural to me. It's still easy to tell when I'm logged in or logged out. I don't see any log in form or buttons when I'm logged in. :D

Reply #57

Personally I entirely agree that avatar doesn't necessarily belong there. Only the username. (the avatar can be part of a larger collapsible area, as it is, I guess).
Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 03:23:22 am by TestMonkey

Reply #58

I think it may make sense if positioned completely out of the menu.
Inside the menu instead it looks a bit weird...
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #59

Both facebook and github have the avatar in the username menu. I don't think it looks that bad. Plus everyone see's their own avatar anyway. Not like you can't tell what it is or anything. I'd be fine if it was left out, but don't see the problem with it being there too. I like Norv's screenshot FWIW.

Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion, you must set yourself on fire!