Skip to main content
Topic: IRC (Read 54733 times) previous topic - next topic
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Re: IRC

Reply #15
(01:47:17 AM) emanuele: Spuds>   But if you looks at Ema's neked pictures you may go blind :P
(01:47:36 AM) emanuele: That's why I don't have any recent picture! :P
(01:48:24 AM) Norv: Heh. You send them through phpbb only, huh?
(01:49:04 AM) emanuele: I checked that because I still have my old site here... :P
(01:50:13 AM) ***Norv tries to change my own perspective about it, but I'm not convinced...
(01:51:38 AM) emanuele: So you Norv don't like "private" attachments?
(01:52:54 AM) emanuele: And Spuds?
(01:55:31 AM) ***Norv is not sure. It's like the IPs issue... of which I didn't tell you about. I wonder if we can/want to add an option for a 'private' login, for which no IPs are logged for the user. Similarly, perhaps we can exclude from maintainance screens some attachments.
(01:57:09 AM) Spuds: Just seems like something that I see asked for often enough ... we could also add some basic file crypt to pm attachments ... makes the admin open the db, get the key, etc etc if we wanted it more ummm agrivating to get at the file
(01:57:48 AM) Spuds: or even aggravating :D
(01:58:48 AM) Spuds: No IP logging .. now that is crazy talk
(02:06:28 AM) emanuele: time to go, bye!
(02:06:31 AM) Norv: Every now and then, I saw (very rarely) a request for disabling any IP logging, at least for members. The point being particular needs of private forums, whose admins wanted to assure their members they have privacy to the level of no IP tracking.
(02:06:46 AM) Norv: nighty
(02:10:28 AM) emanuele: I think you just need to change a couple of lines for that, should be a pretty simple mod
(02:10:38 AM) emanuele: I think SpiderCheck is in the wrong file...
(02:10:56 AM) emanuele: (or addon)
(02:11:43 AM) emanuele left the room (quit: Remote host closed the connection).
(02:15:51 AM) Norv: for members-only, you mean?
(02:47:56 AM) Norv: Bah. SpiderCheck() is out. :D
The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.

Re: IRC

Reply #16
(01:47:17 AM) emanuele: Spuds>   But if you looks at Ema's neked pictures you may go blind :P
(01:47:36 AM) emanuele: That's why I don't have any recent picture! :P
(01:48:24 AM) Norv: Heh. You send them through phpbb only, huh?
(01:49:04 AM) emanuele: I checked that because I still have my old site here... :P
(01:50:13 AM) ***Norv tries to change my own perspective about it, but I'm not convinced...
(01:51:38 AM) emanuele: So you Norv don't like "private" attachments?
(01:52:54 AM) emanuele: And Spuds?
(01:55:31 AM) ***Norv is not sure. It's like the IPs issue... of which I didn't tell you about. I wonder if we can/want to add an option for a 'private' login, for which no IPs are logged for the user. Similarly, perhaps we can exclude from maintainance screens some attachments.
(01:57:09 AM) Spuds: Just seems like something that I see asked for often enough ... we could also add some basic file crypt to pm attachments ... makes the admin open the db, get the key, etc etc if we wanted it more ummm agrivating to get at the file
(01:57:48 AM) Spuds: or even aggravating :D
(01:58:48 AM) Spuds: No IP logging .. now that is crazy talk
(02:06:28 AM) emanuele: time to go, bye!
(02:06:31 AM) Norv: Every now and then, I saw (very rarely) a request for disabling any IP logging, at least for members. The point being particular needs of private forums, whose admins wanted to assure their members they have privacy to the level of no IP tracking. I'm not joking. Even though this isn't the problem of the server software, it's up to the client to make that choice, but.
(02:06:46 AM) Norv: nighty
(02:10:28 AM) emanuele: I think you just need to change a couple of lines for that, should be a pretty simple mod
(02:10:38 AM) emanuele: I think SpiderCheck is in the wrong file...
(02:10:56 AM) emanuele: (or addon)
(02:11:43 AM) emanuele left the room (quit: Remote host closed the connection).
(02:15:51 AM) Norv: for members-only, you mean?
(02:47:56 AM) Norv: Bah. SpiderCheck() is out. :D
The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.

Re: IRC

Reply #17
(12:16:28 AM) emanuele: I meant that to me the functions SpiderCheck looks strange in ManageSearchEngines
(12:17:10 AM) emanuele: oh...it's written in the function documentation... lol
(12:17:18 AM) Norv: https://github.com/elkarte/Elkarte/pull/105
(12:17:42 AM) emanuele: ohhh
(12:18:08 AM) emanuele: cool
(12:18:36 AM) Norv: At your orders! :D
(12:18:53 AM) emanuele: lol

(12:19:08 AM) ***emanuele wonders if we can remove the help... :P
(12:19:35 AM) ***Norv sighs. Why?
(12:19:45 AM) emanuele: for fun!
(12:20:02 AM) emanuele: less to write :P
(12:20:05 AM) Norv: We have been seriously bashed for the choice to pull out the help contents from the software
(12:22:17 AM) Norv: And a point: that local installations (meant to be under corporate firewalls or something) won't have it. TBH I think it's a very rare case but who knows.
(12:23:08 AM) Norv: Ehh. TimeVortex hasn't been happy with it either. [/remembers the slap :D]
(12:23:16 AM) emanuele: the point is: the way it is now is almost useless
(12:23:33 AM) Norv: Probably true...
(12:23:40 AM) emanuele: yes, it brings you to a place where there is much more documentation, but...
(12:24:07 AM) emanuele: difficult to digest for a newbie
(12:24:33 AM) Norv: That should depend on the documentation pages it brings you to, right?
(12:25:41 AM) emanuele: and on where you (can) go from that pages
(12:25:49 AM) Norv: We could readd it as pages in /docs...
(12:26:18 AM) emanuele: I also agree on the fact that bringing the user to another site is not the best
(12:27:30 AM) emanuele: don't know...I never found manuals very useful, but that's probably because I like experimenting...
(12:28:29 AM) Norv: People complained a lot about the difficult maintenance of the former help pages, which had to follow the software changes through a syntax they found very time consuming to update
(12:34:55 AM) Norv: to keep up to date, I mean
The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.

Re: IRC

Reply #18
(12:36:57 AM) emanuele: and the current system is not very well thought to stay in-synch
(12:37:47 AM) emanuele: the documentation will always be up-to-date, but old releases will point to the newer documentation
(12:38:01 AM) emanuele: (for any possible language of course)
(12:39:26 AM) Norv: True, but for user level (and newbie) documentation, I'm not sure it should change that much between major versions. It shouldn't (in theory).
(12:40:51 AM) Norv: Which pretty much cancels the previous point, heh. SMF 2.0 did change, but SMF 2.0 has been a major version and well worth that name.
(12:41:18 AM) Norv: Arguably.
(12:45:19 AM) emanuele: the documentation at that point doesn't make any distinction between minor and major versions, I'm just saying we should consider to separate the (user?) documentation for the different versions
(12:45:44 AM) emanuele: if there are things that are similar it should be pretty easy to clone the page and continue from there
(12:47:06 AM) emanuele: documentation is a pain... XD
(12:52:25 AM) Norv: fair enough
(12:53:22 AM) Norv: I still don't see what the best solution is, for 1.0 and beyond.
(12:55:58 AM) Norv: If we keep wiki links: you can't have a single link (can you?) to a wiki, it's still better to have the subjects broken down to redirect the user to the items more likely of interest...
(12:57:08 AM) Norv: If we (re)add packaged documentation: admin documentation can go in /docs, user documentation has to be a page(s)
(01:02:34 AM) Norv: I mean, in /docs we can add other separate files, if there's something more useful, simply available. (I'd think at a SSI/API introduction, for example; or how to use admin features, such as maintainance; or for a cli script if we add that clearly - i.e. upgrade is already, could have more).
(01:03:24 AM) emanuele: yeah, probably: (wiki|docs)/1.0/page
The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.

Re: IRC

Reply #19
(09:14:10 PM) Norv: https://github.com/elkarte/Elkarte/wiki/Architecture
(09:14:23 PM) Norv: Corrections and questions are welcome, please.
(09:14:55 PM) Norv: and good morning, IchBin (meh IRC should know to notify you of 'ugly brad')
The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.

Re: IRC

Reply #20
(11:06:39 PM) Norv: How I hate queries in controllers... I can hardly read the code with boo-query in my way. :P
(11:06:58 PM) emanuele: change them! :P
(11:25:31 PM) TimeVortex: queries in controllers? D:
(11:25:39 PM) TimeVortex: http://i.imgur.com/ChwtZoK.jpg #relevant

(01/26/2013 12:12:09 AM) emanuele: Spuds, did you revert the code block to the 2.0 behaviour?
(12:41:58 AM) Spuds: Umm .. ummm .... no idea what you are asking, must have joined the channel to late
(12:42:53 AM) Spuds: you mean the the bbc code format thing?
(12:43:05 AM) emanuele: yep
(12:44:30 AM) Spuds: If its wrong now its either a) I never commited the change, b) commited it and then overwrote it from some dorked up branch, c) blame the cat lover

(12:45:48 AM) Spuds: I'll take a look and fix it ... me mind is blurry from working on the email thing
(12:49:12 AM) emanuele: I still don't know what are you doing with emails... :P
(12:49:34 AM) emanuele: (not sure I want to know xD)
(12:52:32 AM) Spuds: The post by email functionality
(12:52:58 AM) emanuele: I knew I didn't want to know! lol
(12:53:19 AM) Spuds: something to help keep the support team sharp :P ... oh wait thats us !
(12:53:45 AM) ***emanuele runs
(12:54:25 AM) Norv: Don't run, it'll be your turn to review it :D
(12:54:53 AM) Spuds: Its a big one to!

(12:58:01 AM) Norv: We no longer want repair_settings to support SMF, right? It supports 1.1 too atm
(12:59:21 AM) Spuds: @ema .... what prolem are you seeing with the code tag?
(12:59:30 AM) emanuele: well...[...]
(12:59:38 AM) Spuds: problem :/
(01:01:57 AM) emanuele: mmm...I can't extend them anymore
(01:03:34 AM) Norv: mmm... then if we do... I need to clean this code, can't add crap to it *headscratch*
(01:04:39 AM) Spuds: Humm ... seamonkey?
(01:05:10 AM) emanuele: firefox
(01:06:22 AM) Spuds: and you can't drag the code blocks large on the site ?
(01:06:52 AM) emanuele: nope... :(
(01:08:13 AM) Spuds: do you have a grip icon in the corner of the box ? ... I'm on ff and I can drag them fine, very strange

(01:10:53 AM) Norv: https://github.com/elkarte/Elkarte/pull/111

(01:11:42 AM) emanuele: Timestamp: 26/01/13 00:09:27
(01:11:43 AM) emanuele: Warning: Unknown property 'box-sizing'.  Declaration dropped.
(01:11:45 AM) emanuele: Source File: http://www.elkarte.net/cache/hive-f19d09939d3669dfb3d4fd49dfc0ba96836da744.css
(01:11:46 AM) emanuele: Line: 2
(01:11:56 AM) emanuele: what's the latest version of FF?
(01:12:26 AM) emanuele: 18...
(01:12:41 AM) Spuds: thats fine ... it should be using -moz-box-sizing ... css3 "standards" lol
(01:12:59 AM) emanuele: I should really take a bit of time and upgrade this machine... (I'm using 15)
(01:13:20 AM) Spuds: it works for me in FF, chrome, safari and looks like crap in ie9 ... so some fixining is needed
(01:13:32 AM) Spuds: ff 15, thats like 2 weeks old, get with it man
(01:14:20 AM) emanuele: LOL
(01:14:35 AM) emanuele: but I'm on a system that is...1 year old... :(
(01:15:19 AM) emanuele: no, actually 2 years old
(01:16:11 AM) emanuele: chrome doesn't even let me grab the handle...
(01:17:21 AM) emanuele: oook....also delete posts is broken...
(01:17:52 AM) Spuds: what version of chrome?
(01:18:11 AM) Spuds: do you have a mouse on that computer :D
(01:18:14 AM) emanuele: 22....
(01:18:35 AM) emanuele: yes, but is not exactly working... lol
(01:19:40 AM) Spuds: lol ... and chrome is like v24 now
(01:20:01 AM) emanuele: ohhh...I quit from the internet.
(01:20:13 AM) emanuele: :P
(01:21:21 AM) Spuds: The site is not up to date with the repo, I'll do an update later, should break some stuff for sure since thats the one with all them directory name changes

(01:24:33 AM) Norv: (sorry to keep barging in) So we want to support 3 versions atm, SMF 1.1, SMF 2.0 and Elk 1.0? Is there something of relevance to add to repair_settings in 2.1?
(01:25:05 AM) emanuele: no, I was joking. ;)
(01:25:12 AM) emanuele: just one is more than enough!
(01:25:33 AM) Norv: oh ok... You're sure? Spuds?
(01:25:52 AM) Norv: (I have no strong opinion)
(01:27:07 AM) Spuds: Sorry Norv ... whats the question

(01:27:42 AM) Spuds: Ema ... let me know if updating those browsers works for you ... we are using
(01:27:42 AM) Spuds: resize: vertical; css3 for that capability

(01:28:09 AM) Norv: repair_settings currently supports smf 1.1 and 2.0. I'm not sure we want to add Elk, or write it for Elk only
(01:28:51 AM) Norv: tbh it doesnt make sense to support smf... only the issues that the upgrade may introduce or leave over
(01:28:56 AM) Spuds: Oh ... my quick reaction is just do one for Elk ....
(01:29:26 AM) Spuds: if SMF repair is needed ... well use the smf repair I would think
(01:30:48 AM) emanuele: less code is always the best thing
(01:32:44 AM) Norv: lol
(01:40:56 AM) Norv: Then I'm also fully breaking compatibility of the code with your script emanuele - we probably won't be able to cherry stuff, only manually
(01:42:02 AM) emanuele: you are always breaking things... lol
(01:46:08 AM) Norv: I think February-March would be a good moment to acknowledge the next winner... so I'm really in a hurry
(01:46:33 AM) emanuele left the room (quit: Remote host closed the connection).
(01:48:09 AM) Spuds: Norv scared ema away :'(
(01:48:22 AM) Norv: I didn't mean to...
(01:48:29 AM) Spuds: LOL
The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.

Re: IRC

Reply #21
Quote
(11:34:48 PM) Norv: question: if I introduce a loadLibrary() for /subs files, and a loadController() for /controllers, would it be fine?
(11:35:36 PM) emanuele: think so
(11:36:38 PM) Norv: the hardcoded subdirectories are kinda ugly
(11:51:44 PM) Norv: or $librarydir and $controllerdir
(11:52:37 PM) emanuele: go for the load, less to type... :P
(11:54:31 PM) Norv: it's an extra function call though
(11:54:49 PM) Norv: and this time for a lot of files
Wondering: and a $dirs variable?
$dirs['libraries']
$dirs['controllers']
$dirs['board']
$dirs['sources']
Or a small class or whatever.
Just not to have to care about the globals.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Re: IRC

Reply #22
A few updates...

(02:58:40 AM) Spuds: code blocks .....
(02:59:33 AM) Spuds: we can set a height and use the resize: vertical; and overflow auto things so folks can zoom around as normal
(02:59:55 AM) Spuds: resize does not work in ie or opera, maybe others so its the standard scroll bars
(03:00:26 AM) Spuds: downside is all the whitespace around one liner code
(03:01:10 AM) Spuds: then there is the max height thing which removes the whitespace, and resize does not work, you have to use the scroll bars (thats todays thing)
(03:03:20 AM) Spuds: We could use height and resize, and then with jquery find the codeblocks, set height to auto, and then reset to specific heights for those blocks over a certain lenght ... this will remove the whitespace on one/two liners, and allow resize or scrollbars to work.   For non-js users its like normal

(03:12:14 AM) ***Spuds needs to add some more memory to this machine!
(03:17:23 AM) Spuds: I updated the site with my ramble on code blocks to see if we like that or no
(03:42:57 AM) Norv: Thanks! Sorry, I didn't really pay attention to these...
(03:59:42 AM) Spuds: lol ... me either but I think whats there now (hard refresh) will be the best solution, I don't think there is a pure css one
(04:01:49 AM) Spuds: so if we like it I'll make a pr for it, if not, the next site refresh will revert it :D
(04:05:58 AM) Norv: Sure, thanks! Eventually we can see tomorrow when Ema wakes up. :)

(04:07:16 AM) ***Norv mumbles that we could have installations with very messed up paths...

(04:11:31 AM) trekkie101: Norv did you just post a roadmap?
(04:12:26 AM) Norv: https://github.com/elkarte/Elkarte/issues/2 is the roadmap for 1.0 beta. I didn't post anything clearer or further
(04:12:51 AM) Norv: It's not good enough?
(04:12:58 AM) trekkie101: You misunderstand
(04:13:08 AM) trekkie101: I *love* that!
(04:14:31 AM) trekkie101: It literally could be the lyrics to Scooby doo but minus the internals SMF has always lacked
(04:16:38 AM) Norv: And the Relevant links topic should give a 'bigger' picture on what's what/where. I actually don't think it's enough (at all) but well. I'm not sure about the format (and wording will take some time) of a 'real', user-readable-easily, roadmap and project stuff.
(04:18:03 AM) trekkie101: The post and a little milestone graphic on GitHub will do fine for now

(04:31:09 AM) trekkie101: We'd need to establish a "team" and "positions" first lol or else it's gonna be a pile
(04:31:25 AM) trekkie101: Of us plebs looking at the awesome code work :p
(04:33:21 AM) Norv: Make teams if you want Trekkie One - but please talk to Spuds and Ema too before. I understand Ema is quite against badges lol.
(04:33:48 AM) trekkie101: I don't care for them either tbh
(04:35:35 AM) Norv: One thing we all should pay attention to: focus on areas. And the second thing: keep things open by rule, in the sense that you can talk everything in the earth and sky in private, but it becomes *real* only after it's publicly explained and done.
(04:38:03 AM) trekkie101: I like your lead there!

(05:50:11 AM) Norv: You folks keep working on (the current code on) bbc and stuff... I guess we might not make the switch yet (for 1.0), if I think of all else still to do
(05:58:34 AM) Norv: attachmentUploadDir - 201 matches in working set 'elk_standalone' umm...

(05:06:49 PM) Spuds: http://www.elkarte.net/index.php?topic=134.msg945;topicseen#new
(05:07:31 PM) Spuds: I must say I already find librarydir which points to subs and not lib already confusing :P
(05:07:50 PM) emanuele: mmm...kind of true :P
(05:07:58 PM) emanuele: but that's Norv's fault! :D
(05:08:19 PM) Spuds: so trueeeeee
(05:09:32 PM) Spuds: I kind of like the idea of a array for all those directory things, don't know if there are any pitfals though
(05:10:38 PM) emanuele: or a static class or something
(05:10:52 PM) Spuds: we have boarddir, sourcedir, librarydir, cachedir, controllerdir and I still need to move the hive files so we will have hivedir
(05:11:04 PM) emanuele: lol
(05:11:23 PM) emanuele: yep, quite a lot
(05:12:19 PM) Spuds: yep and everythime you extend it, you have to edit a bunch of files
The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.

Re: IRC

Reply #23
(05:15:59 PM) Spuds: emanuele ... did you see the change I did to the site code boxes?
(05:18:06 PM) emanuele: yep, now is working again! :D
(05:19:34 PM) Spuds: basically they are back to code boxes with a intial height with a resize css (for the browsers that support it) but then in JS I set the hieght to auto so small boxes collapse and then turn the height back on for boxes > ~20em ... for those you will either get the grip to resize or the scroll bar (or both)

(07:03:09 PM) emanuele: Spuds: require_once($sourcedir . '/sphinxapi.php');
(07:03:33 PM) emanuele: Can't find the file, is that something that should be added when using sphinx?
(07:26:08 PM) Spuds: Its something that comes with the sphinx software, so its distributed with it
(07:26:24 PM) Spuds: not sure if we can or can not include it with our distro
(07:28:00 PM) Spuds: // This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
(07:28:01 PM) Spuds: // it under the terms of the GNU General Public License. You should have
(07:28:01 PM) Spuds: // received a copy of the GPL license along with this program; if you
(07:28:01 PM) Spuds: // did not, you can find it at http://www.gnu.org/
(07:28:01 PM) Spuds: //
(07:29:13 PM) Spuds: not the lesser, at least this one I have
(07:30:59 PM) emanuele: it was just to be sure it was something that had to stay there and not something lost while renaming things. :D
(07:31:54 PM) Spuds: I think I have a check for that file when you enable that option in the acp, the sphinx search option
(07:33:42 PM) emanuele: yep
(07:36:11 PM) Spuds: good ... I don't have sphinx installed on this machine ATM ... I did when I was adding the feature, but that test setup went kablooie at some point
(07:47:20 PM) Spuds: Ok the truth is that I spilled my latte down my keyboard .... so the new computer is not set up with it yet :P
(07:48:04 PM) emanuele: the truth is that you are lazy! :P
(07:48:30 PM) Spuds: Yeah !

(08:07:17 PM) Norv: Morning lol
(08:08:47 PM) Norv: I don't think we can, need, nor should, distribute GPLed software
(08:09:28 PM) Spuds: Bonjour ....
(08:09:38 PM) Spuds: yup ... how about lgpl

(08:09:46 PM) Norv: I should have left /lib as internal library, huh?
(08:10:13 PM) Spuds: just confusing to my old brain
The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.

Re: IRC

Reply #24
(08:11:23 PM) Norv: them lawyers still have fun imagining what is the scope of LGPL in interpreted languages. But the established practice is simple: we're fine combining it and distributing it along with any licenses, unless we modify its own code (in which case the resulting modification is LGPL).
(08:12:10 PM) Spuds: OK ... of lgpl is ok as long as its untouched/unchanged ...
(08:14:03 PM) Norv: I've been looking at BB, we're using it how it was meant by its author to be used. As a library, accessed through compatible-licensed code. It's fine. We can (and I might) go into dirty details here, but not something to be worried about.
(08:15:19 PM) Norv: well if you change it, you have to license as LGPL - that's also "okay" after all. The established practice (and it's not necessarily them ugly lawyers yapping lol) is that it's a sort of a MPL. :D
(08:16:30 PM) Spuds: Good deal ... yeah I just used that interface file that BB calls, so some of it is a bit odd but that was to avoid any changes to the BB lib itself.
(08:17:09 PM) Norv: Yes, the author wasn't very happy to see it forked and not renamed, I remember
(08:17:13 PM) Spuds: Interesting ... so in theory you could fork an lgpl lib, change it under lgpl of course, then use the modified lgpl in your distro
(08:17:21 PM) Norv: yes
(08:17:49 PM) Spuds: :D
(08:21:23 PM) Norv: the difficult question (sometimes, depending on the code, language, and who you ask lol), is what is the scope that LGPL should extend to. How much of the "other" interacting code it touches. The *practical* answer is: almost nothing else than its code itself, considering also the author's position on the intention of his license. The "lawful" answer is: everything that is a derivative under copyright law. The problem with the latter is nobody knows for sure which that is for all cases, languages, interactions, in software. lol.
(08:21:44 PM) Norv: There
(08:21:58 PM) Norv: :D

(08:24:12 PM) Trekkie101: Busy in here tonight :P
(08:24:26 PM) Norv: And Norv yapping about licenses. lol.
(08:24:36 PM) emanuele: It's just Norv writing about legal things
(08:24:40 PM) emanuele: lol
(08:25:54 PM) Trekkie101: Anything interesting in it all :P
(08:26:25 PM) Norv: Lemme grab some coffee and post quickly them log.
(08:26:45 PM) emanuele: have you ever found anything interesting in legal mumbo-jumbo? :P
(08:26:55 PM) Norv: Me? Yes. :D
(08:27:25 PM) Trekkie101: Me? Occasionally :P
(08:27:44 PM) emanuele: weird people...
The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.

Re: IRC

Reply #25
(08:29:57 PM) ***Norv snickers seeing the github simultaneous PRs on directories
(08:32:47 PM) Norv: I don't see a downside to using constants?
(08:33:13 PM) Norv: Well other than they're also 5-6, like these globals.
(08:40:24 PM) emanuele: so another round of changes? :P
(08:41:05 PM) Norv: Your PR doesn't merge, TE's was merge-able... Not sure what happens :D
(08:42:44 PM) emanuele: nothing new... xD
(08:43:30 PM) emanuele: because I removed the global $sourcedir; from the dispatcher
(08:44:02 PM) emanuele: what's best keep all the globals (dir) even if not used or better to cleanup everything?
(08:44:16 PM) emanuele: or wait if we move to constants
(08:45:26 PM) emanuele: now it should merge
(08:47:38 PM) emanuele: wait Norv don't merge it
(08:48:14 PM) Norv: LOL
(08:48:50 PM) Norv: Don't worry, I'll wait to see what TE wants to do. You're not the only one y'know!
(08:48:50 PM) emanuele: no, okay it's fine
(08:49:16 PM) Spuds: So CONSTANTS or a static so we could use an array perhpas?
(08:50:32 PM) Norv: What does an array help with, other than using more resources when you put it all in scope, and you only need one or two?
(08:52:10 PM) Norv: I'd favor constants. No more globals to remember to add, and they don't change anyway. Same names (well uppercased of course).
(08:52:12 PM) Spuds: Humm .. I don't think what you are describing would be a help ... oh wait was that sarcasm from Norv :P
(08:53:01 PM) Norv: Any downsides I may miss?
(08:53:04 PM) Norv: :D
(08:53:33 PM) emanuele: no, nothing different from now I think (except uppercase :P )
(08:53:41 PM) Spuds: constants are fine by me, was just asking questions to make sure we only do this twice :D
(09:01:46 PM) Norv: Will have to discipline myself... make complete PRs... Grumblers. :D
The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.

Re: IRC

Reply #26
(09:08:08 PM) emanuele: Hey Spuds: when you have finished with emails, next one is post-from-IRC! :P
(09:10:35 PM) Norv: LOL! That's not difficult... we could have a bot here to log stuff. I ain't gonna do this forever y'know. :P
(09:10:44 PM) ***Norv feels like a bot. :P
(09:14:13 PM) ***emanuele goes

(09:17:06 PM) Trekkie101: FeAtUrE ReQuEsT: Make the breadcrumbs navigation at the bottom of the page less fiddly on a mobile browser
(09:18:25 PM) Trekkie101: Question: What does disregard do?
(09:18:35 PM) ***Norv would like to point Trekkie101 to https://github.com/elkarte/Elkarte/issues
(09:19:04 PM) Trekkie101: Your right Norv-iliious Ill fix the code
(09:19:24 PM) Norv: Although mean SpudsMan has only created the 'enhancement' tag, not 'feature request'. I suspect he had dark intentions yesyes doing so...
(09:21:32 PM) Trekkie101: I dont think I can tag it anyway
(09:22:36 PM) Trekkie101: Also meant to ask, does github/git have a way of making a little changelog.txt or is it all in the magic of the commits page?
(09:26:28 PM) Spuds: Just to show I'm not so mean .... I add the feature request tag
(09:27:05 PM) Trekkie101: Aww you copied the appropriate style :P
(09:27:16 PM) Spuds: Just for you ;)
(09:27:35 PM) Trekkie101: It helps sarcastically suggest, NFW.
(09:30:51 PM) Norv: With git, you can do: > git log, and it shows you the log. Save it in a file etc.

(09:38:30 PM) Spuds: > Question: What does disregard do?
(09:38:30 PM) Spuds: Thats for topics you no longer wish to be notified of new posts in ..... like when you post in a mod thread that you no longer use and don't want to be notified that someone new posted a question that was answered 50 times before in that thread.
(09:39:57 PM) Trekkie101: Ah
(09:39:59 PM) Trekkie101: Ignore!

(09:42:04 PM) Norv: Trekkie101: if you add to your git config file extra-aliases or options, you can have any view of the log you want. For example, I use the 'lp' alias you see here: https://gist.github.com/3342247
(09:42:34 PM) Norv: it's a compact, colorful (lol), view of the log
The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.

Re: IRC

Reply #27
(10:59:44 PM) emanuele: question: integrate_*_include could be considered deprecated? (and/or removed?)
(11:22:28 PM) Norv: why, because of the file parameter?
(11:22:49 PM) Spuds: integrate_pre_include, integrate_admin_include, integrate_theme_include, integrate_autotask_include .... opps Norv beat me to the question

(11:37:39 PM) emanuele: I sent  PR using some of the new features like include files with hooks instead of integrate_*_include
(11:37:50 PM) emanuele: Norv>   why, because of the file parameter?
(11:37:58 PM) emanuele: yep, that's what I was wondering

(11:47:29 PM) Norv: Agree... not sure if theme_include too...?
(11:48:23 PM) emanuele: you mean keep theme_include?
(11:49:13 PM) Norv: just wondering, I haven't used it so I simply dunno.
(11:50:01 PM) emanuele: I think I tried to use it once but it was in a terrible position for what I wanted to do if I remember correctly...
(11:53:00 PM) emanuele: and apart from that I'm still not sure what the difference between pre_include and theme_include are... :(
(11:56:28 PM) Norv: I guess you're right and we could pull them out now... Unless we want a level of compatibility with mods here?
The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.

Re: IRC

Reply #28
(01:49:38 AM) Spuds: https://github.com/elkarte/Elkarte/wiki/Coding-Standards  ... as a start ... would like to add more to naming conventions perhaps ...
(01:59:25 AM) Norv: Wonderful work, thank you! It must have taken you a lot of time... /me wasn't able to do it.

(02:02:18 AM) Norv: May I? https://github.com/elkarte/Elkarte/pull/111 For some reason I'd like this in because dunno, it seems to clear up things better... well it tries to.
(02:05:27 AM) Spuds: Absolutly .... on 111

(02:06:13 AM) Spuds: Nah that did not take to long ... did some lifting from the coding guidlines, just tried to make it a bit more simple
The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.

Re: IRC

Reply #29
(04:07:16 AM) Trekkie101: Are we elkarte, Elkarte or ElkArte though :P
(04:07:28 AM) Norv: lol
(04:08:02 AM) Norv: I'd propose ElkArte
(04:08:25 AM) Trekkie101: Nice to see TE around!
(04:10:59 AM) Norv: For no good explanation, except spelling and abbreviation to Elk. Which is what we do anyway. We could, if someone has some design inspiration, make something like a mascot with an Elk  /just shooting an idea.
(04:13:46 AM) Trekkie101: Im graphically untalented
(04:13:55 AM) Trekkie101: But we should choose something simple
(04:13:59 AM) Trekkie101: Like a bear but not a bear
(04:14:12 AM) Trekkie101: Something we can actually buy :P
(04:14:18 AM) Trekkie101: Like a giraffe or something
(04:14:44 AM) Trekkie101: Not a real giraffe, but a teddy one
The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.