Skip to main content
Topic: Database, should I use 2 or 1? (Read 777 times) previous topic - next topic

Database, should I use 2 or 1?

I don't know much about databases, but I could make 2 or have 1 for both forums.
Is there any negative things having 2 forums in one database? Is it better to have them seperated?

I'm thinking of running SMF on one website and ElkArta on the other. Not sure if this is a good idea, but that was an idea so I don't have to choose one over the other. Although getting a good amount of censorship and muting on SMF at the moment, which of cause ruins the experience somewhat. In any case - I was thinking if there was anything bad using the same database.

I think there was something about there was only so and so many stickes one could do with the forum software, although not sure if that would be a database thing or something else that might make that wall.

It's easier to have in one database, but if there is any issues with it - I'll go for 2.

Re: Database, should I use 2 or 1?

Reply #1

I'd go for 2 databese, but you con also use one database and be sure to use different prefixes for db tables
sorry for my bad english

Reply #2

Yea I know about the prefixes although I was wondering if there was any wall on something that might then be closer only using 1 compared to 2. Like there was something about only able to make 255 sticky posts in total - would that count for both forums in one database or would they both be able to do 255 or whatever the number was more in the line that I was worried about.

Thanks

Reply #3

If you use different table prefixes there is nothing to worry about

maybe you are referring to max 255 boards per forum, so you'd have max 255 for each forum installed
sorry for my bad english

Reply #4

Great to know - thanks. I have installed it in the same database with different prefexis and will hope for the best :)